Wednesday, August 16, 2006

To brace or not to brace?

This post will be about braces. Leg braces, to be specific. Something common in CMT is called "drop-foot" (I have this). Basically, it's harder for you to "pull your toes up", so you lift your legs higher to prevent tripping/falling. This makes walking a lot more work for someone with CMT, and they tend to fatigue more quickly. Of course, if they get tired, they might start to not lift their legs as high (this is all generally subconscious) and they will likely trip. Braces supposedly eliminate this problem. They make it so your toes can't "drop", and hopefully your gait will improve and you'll be able to walk for longer periods of time. Braces have been recommended for me many times, but I've always resisted. I think it's partly psychological, but I'm not sure how to explain it. If you wear long pants the braces are pretty much invisible, so for the most part no one would know, but I would know, and for some reason that is a problem for me. When making a decision like this you want to do what feels right to you, but also what is in your body's best interest. Another thing that the braces help with is keeping the tendons in the back of your ankle from getting too tight. This is why it is very vital to stretch there especially. I've been told that if I don't, I will most likely need surgery to lengthen the tendons in the next four or so years -- that's not good.

So for now I'm sticking to the stretching, and still thinking about the braces. Any advice is always appreciated.

4 Comments:

At 8:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Char,
I'm a 50 year old female and found out I had CMT about 8 years ago. I have worn AFO's for almost 5 years, best thing I ever did. It really helped the first 3 years, but the last two years my health has really declined. I need a scooter for any kind of distance and a walker all the time. My diagram is now pushing into my left lung and causing breathing problems. Thanks for starting this blog.
Connie

 
At 9:14 PM, Blogger Char said...

Connie,
I'll definitely look into the AFOs then, if not for now then maybe in the next couple years.
I'm so sorry to hear your health has declined and about the breathing problems. I wish there was something I could do. - you'll be in my thoughts.
Hope to see you here again.

 
At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Char,
You just learn to take one day at a time. I'm very blessed with a wonderful husband that will do all housework I can no longer do. I seen that you live in Mich. we live in Ohio near the Michigan line. I just added this site as a favorite, hope others find this site as well. We can all help each other.
Connie

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Char said...

Connie,
True, I'm still learning that. Sometimes I just have to accept I can't always know what the future will hold for me.
Wow, very close.. maybe we can visit someday :)
That's wonderful that your husband is there for you, I hope I'll be lucky like that someday!
Thank you! I sure hope so.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home