Friday, August 18, 2006

Supplements

Supplements can be vital in the life of someone with CMT. In this post I will have a list that I got from Cathy, who has graciously given me permission to post it here. I met her on a site called www.charcot-marie-tooth.org (great site, great people, if you aren't already there check it out!). I will be quoting her and also occasionally adding my own comments in italics.


"I have done a lot of research along with a nutritionist to find the proper combination of
supplements to take that will ensure good health and energy for those having CMT. All of them
are safe and non-toxic for those who have CMT. The suggested doses are higher for us than for
others who do not have our disease. I buy mine on line at www.iHerb.com. They can get costly
but to me it is worth the money to feel the way I do. You can also research each supplement by
going to that site and clicking on Health Encyclopedia.

Supplements for CMT/MD

1) Evening Primrose Oil-1000mg-3x’s a day. This appears to be effective for neuropathy.
Pain and/or numbness due to progressive nerve damage. Works well with Alpha Lipoic Acid.
2) L-Carnitine-500mgs-2x’s a day. This is an amino acid the body needs to turn fat into
energy. Supplemental carnitine may improve the ability of certain tissues to produce energy.
This effect has led to the use of carnitine in various muscle diseases and heart conditions.
3) CoEnzymeQ10-150mg-once a day. This is found in every cell in the body and plays a
fundamental role in the mitochondria (the parts of the cell that produce energy). Also
excellent for the heart and hypertension.
4) Alpha Lipoic Acid (this is the most important supplement) 300mgs-3x’s a day. It is a
potent antioxidant, protecting nerves from the toxic chemicals throughout the root of neuropathy.
A recent study found ALA eased the burning and numbness of peripheral nerve damage. (this has been recommended to me by numerous doctors and people, it's sounds extremely beneficial)
5) Vitamin C-1000mgs-once a day. This is a powerful antioxidant. (from what I have heard and research I have done/looked into, mega-doses of this are being used and recommended, aprox. 7000mgs. I went up to 10000mgs at one point, but that amount gave me stomach aches, so be careful. I don't think I was on this long enough to see an effect, but I plan to start it up again)

For Pain:

1) MSM-1000mgs-2x’s a day. This is for healthy connective tissue and helps eases joint pain.
2) BioSil- 1 capsule daily. This is silicon that works for bones and joints to support, strengthen
and repair. It is also good for the growth of nails and hair, elasticity in the skin, and capillary
strength for the heart. I have been able to say I have little to no pain since I started taking these supplements in Sept. 2002."

A very impressive and detailed list! Thank you Cathy! I plan to start taking all of these soon, and will let you all know how it goes.

1 Comments:

At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Vitamin E deserves mention, as it helps with blood flow and nerve conduction in skeletal muscles, and it is also a natural pain reliver. CMT Researchers have proven this. Adult daily dose is 1 1000 IU capsule in the morning after breakfast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home