Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Regained function due to splinter

I remember several years ago when I'd go to doctors about CMT and one thing they'd always have me do was stand on my tip-toes. I could always do this with ease and felt quite proud, even though I could never walk on my heels when asked. Sometime in the last year I lost the ability to stand on my toes. Even though this was never something very useful, it was quite upsetting to me. I started to wonder what I might "lose" next, but it did make me appreciate the little things I can still do, the ones even I take for granted.

Yesterday I got a splinter in the heel of my foot. Despite my family's attempts to remove it, it was quite stubborn and simply lodged itself deeper under the skin. I was at my grandparents' house at the time and it was time to go home, so my aunt tied a handkerchief around the foot and I hobbled to the car. I was forced to only stand on my toes/the front of my foot, because 1) it hurt to put pressure where the splinter was and 2) I didn't want to make it go any deeper. For the most part I put my weight on the other foot.

This morning I realized that I was pretty much walking on the toes of my injured foot, and I wondered if I might be able to stand on my tip-toes with both feet. I could!! Not for long mind you, but I have actually regained the ability to stand on my toes from my body needing to compensate.

So, even if you think you've lost some mobility or function forever, don't give up hope. With some work and determination, there are still many things you can get back.

2 Comments:

At 8:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hiya, just wanted to say hello and that I've been reading your blog for a few days now. Do you think your regained function might be to do with the step exercises you've been doing.
Balance and sudden loss of function are two of my problems, I do regain function again (so far), and exercise helps. But it always feels like a fine line between doing some exercise but not too much. It always seems so easy to over do it.
Have you tried wobble boards and gymbals at all?
Keep up the good work, I'll put a link on my page to your blog.
Bye for now, jon

 
At 8:45 AM, Blogger Char said...

Hi Jon,
It's very possible, since the exercises would help with general leg strength, even though they don't involve practicing going up on my toes. (which I'm going to start doing now!)
It is a very fine line. I'm still learning to listen to my body. Good luck with your own exercising, and I'm glad you have regained function :)
My PT used wobble boards when testing my balance (I did pretty well actually), but I don't own any. I do have a gym ball, but I'm not sure what exercises on it would be best suited for me - I'll have to look into it. If you have any suggestions I'd love them.
Thank you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home