Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Patella Trials Part II

In no time I was being wheeled through a hospital hallway. My pain had been less due to the medication, but that state of slight comfort left quickly. Muscle spasms soon started erupting in my dislocated knee sending me into pain more excruciating than I had ever imagined, or thought I’d be forced to experience. I was now screaming in the seemingly perfect rhythm that the spasms came. I could feel the staff wheeling my stretcher start to go faster.

Finally we made it into my own private examination room. The spasms had mostly subsided but they still gave me a very large dose of morphine – I did not discourage them from the task. Unfortunately, it wasn’t long though before the spasms started again and I was screaming again, even drugged with all of that morphine. I was begging them to give me something else to take it away. However, in order to do this my dad had to sign a special paper giving his consent, before he signed he looked at me and asked “So, what is it worth to you?” I was not amused, he signed, and they gave me a large dose of yet another drug. Ahhh, bliss.

I looked up at the TV in a corner of the room—the University of Michigan football team was playing. I looked down at the now blue and yellow paint stained sheet I was laying on; coincidentally, Michigan’s colours are maize and blue, and every staff member who touched me got a little extra of the school colors on their already maize and blue uniforms – I was in, after all, the University of Michigan hospital. Then one of the doctors started poking around my knee, drawing my attention away from the TV. Before I could realize what she was doing she popped my kneecap back into place. Fortunately, the pain was minimal after all that medication.

Next I was wheeled to another room to get X-rays of my knee. Apparently there is a 30% chance of fracturing something with this type of injury, but thankfully I was “fine” in that respect. After that they put an immobilizer on my leg, gave me a pair of crutches (even though I can’t use them even without the injury), and well, pretty much just sent us on our way.

Once we’d gotten me into the back seat of the car (with assistance), my dad suddenly piped up, “Wait, now what are we gonna do?”

4 Comments:

At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So the hospital just sent you on your way with your morphine buzz? Sounds about right, lol. So sorry that you had to go through all that pain and agony with your knee. Be careful! After it pops out the first time it is likely to happen again when you least expect it.

 
At 11:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

HUGE HUGZ FROM CANADA!

 
At 4:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The anonymous said ... comment listing urls is an example of very bad taste and should be deleted for cause if you can.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home