Sunday, October 22, 2006

The Art of the Fall

I watched shoes walking past me and car wheels zooming by; well, I didn’t want my body to lie here sprawled out on the pavement forever. It was time to collect myself, dust off, and find some way to stand up.

Falls. Falling is something common to the CMT life. “Everyone falls sometimes”--maybe so, but probably not quite so often. “You know,” my father said one day trying to get me to consider braces, “some people go a decade or more without ever falling.” I didn’t believe him. It was simply an idea out of the realm of my experience. I can honestly say that I don’t fall as often as I used to; however when I proudly proclaimed this to my father, he correctly pointed out that I don’t walk nearly as much as I used to either!
I’ve been told to learn to “laugh at myself” when I fall--this seems to be common advice, but I just can’t think of me falling as funny (at least not at the time), or even pretend to. I am guessing the people with the “laugh at yourself” advice never had a problem with falling. Or, it might be easier to laugh at an occasional fall if I didn’t know it was connected to my CMT.

Falls can be very difficult, embarrassing, and they tend to take me by surprise. Now, I trip all the time, but my body has learned to use everything in its power to keep me vertical (this still tends to end up in a lot of twisted ankles). Occasionally, though, there is no hope in staying upright, and I simply have to let nature take its course. It’s times like these that I have learned to turn falling into an art form.

Here’s one of my favourite stories to illustrate:

I was walking down one of the halls at school. It’s almost the end of the day and I’d aced that math quiz. I was feelin’ pretty good about myself--“Yeah, I’m smooth and life is good.” Then, suddenly, my day took a turn. As I was gliding down the halls I felt myself starting to trip and lose my balance (from some unknown reason, since there really wasn‘t anything I was tripping over, except the floor) In that split second I realized that there was no hope in preventing this fall, but I could try to not make a big scene out of it, I could practice the art of the fall and, hopefully, try to keep my self-respect intact. Instead of going face first, I started to fold my legs in, as though I just decided at that particular moment to sit cross-legged in the middle of the hallway. Slowly I drifted down, falling, but artfully so into a perfectly formal cross-legged position. As luck would have it, this occurred directly in front of my locker! To complete the performance I grabbed my backpack and pretended to look for something in it. Performance complete. Self-respect in tact. After several minutes I realized it was time to work on getting up. The art of the stand is as complicated, perhaps even more so, than the art of the fall. I scanned the hallway for something of assistance. Nothing. I peeked around into the classroom next to me--only a couple people were still in there and they were busy talking. I quickly crawled in there when no one was looking (or so I hoped!) and used a chair to pull myself up. Self-respect? Maybe. Feeling smooth and good? Eh, maybe not so much. But hey, everyone falls, but only those of us who fall regularly get the opportunity to turn it into an art.

6 Comments:

At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Char,
Your experience may prompt some new inventions.
In the 1950's when polio was common a university in Chicago set up a program for folks who must move in wheelchairs because their legs had very few muscels. The lucky ones had strong arms for shoving the wheels. One major task was to get back into a spilled wheel chair. This was practiced a lot so that it could be accomplished alone if necessary. My friend only told me about this and I never asked him to demonstrate it. All the tricks were learned to get through revolving doors and into buildings of all kinds.

When I first tried to snow skee they made us fall and get up by ourselves without taking off the skies which again was a trick with the skie poles and some upper body lifting.

Your problem is different but maybe some stratagy will be found to help in case of a fall. I think it is clever of you to figure out one way to complete an involuntary fall. Maybe there is a book pack that can also give the type of help that the chair can. It is possible that some reader may have a good idea.
Your writing is very good. Keep at it also.
Papajim

 
At 11:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm new, but boy, do I understand you alot. I got your blog addy from the CMT group on myspace.com. I'm Brooke Alyson ... I couldn't help but almost laugh because I have been there alot... thanks so much for this blogspot ... it's great......

 
At 6:55 AM, Blogger Char said...

Papajim,

That's very interesting. I can't seem to think of a device that would help prevent a fall (while still walking), except maybe a cane of some sort... but something to help get up would probably be easier--Something that you could always have with you. I like the using a backpack idea; my current one isn't quite sturdy enough (I've tried!) and maybe not quite tall enough. It's something to think about.

Thank you!

 
At 6:58 AM, Blogger Char said...

Hi Brooke!
It's definitely fun to read about others' experiences and see that they're so much like your own!
It's great to see you here, and thank you :)

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks Brooke. I'm not sure if it was intentional, but your post is the perfect allegory for the human experience at large. People live entire lives afraid of failing, but only those who try fearlessly and fail learn to make it work to their advantage. The rest of us just sit on the floor feeling sorry for ourselves.

 
At 9:07 AM, Blogger Char said...

Juan Pablo,

I never really thought of my story as being an allegory for something much greater, but that's truly a wonderful and inspiring way to look at it. Thank you :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home