Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Trick-or-Treat Pleurisy


Princesses, Witches, Angels, Goblins, Faeries, Charcot-Marie-Tooth, Pirates--wait a minute, where does CMT fit in there? Oh, right, it doesn't.

This is my first year not trick-or-treating. I am in high school though, so I haven't had to give anyone a reason for not going (the real reason). When I went last year I had a lot of trouble getting up the steps to the doors (pretty much all of the houses here have at least one step up to them), that was when my CMT was really starting to show itself. This year I just don't feel it's worth it. Steps are harder for me than they were a year ago, and I don't really need all of that candy anyway! So we're staying in, but we still carved a pumpkin, made cupcakes, and the pumpkin seeds are cooking in the oven.

But that's not what the real topic of this post is about!

In my last post I mentioned how I'd had stabbing chest pains. I still have those chest pains days later--luckily most of the time they're bearable.

I've found that it is very easy to just blame CMT for my aclectic health problems. Let's face it, CMT can cause all kinds of different problems! Does this mean I should blame my need for glasses on my CMT? (I've heard CMT could possibly cause vision and hearing impairment) I could, but I could also admit that bad vision runs through the CMT-less side of my family. My point is, it may be that CMT isn't causing some of your problems, and I'd recommend looking into other possible causes, because those might have possible treatments.

I mentioned the chest pains to one of my science teachers (who I've been talking to about CMT stuff), and after asking some questions she concluded that I probably have Pleurisy.

From wikipedia:
"Pleurisy, also known as pleuritis, is an inflammation of the pleura, the lining of the pleural cavity surrounding the lungs, which can cause painful respiration and other symptoms. Pleurisy can be generated by a variety of infectious and non-infectious causes."

Pleurisy can develope after a respiratory illness, and I did have a bad cold quite recently. So I thought that was an interesting bit of information, as I'd never actually heard of Pleurisy before, so I just thought I'd share that with y'all!

Happy Halloween!

1 Comments:

At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Char, Many years ago I had pains in my chest enough to worry me. After examination by several doctors it was concluded that I had some swollen cartilage around some of my chest rib bones which would not be a serious problem and would go away. Now I have to press on my chest in just tthe right spot to feel some pain or hurt. Otherwise I don't notice it.Thanks for the data on Plurisy which was news to me too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home